Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Time ain't on my side

More than anything else, that's what's impressed me so far about this damned class: it's proving much more time consuming to put it together than I ever would have dreamed it would.

I've only just now started thinking about what I'm going to do with my Calc II sections in the coming fall, a sin mitigated only by the fact that I just got done with two sections of Calc II this past spring, so it feels fresh. Nevertheless, I know that I won't be able to put the same effort into "overhauling" Calc II as I am into giving Linear Algebra a makeover. That's not to say I'll teach it poorly: as many times as I've taught the course before, and as much success as I've had with it in the past, I've no doubt it'll go smoothly...but I can't help but wish that I'd have time to treat it as closely and as carefully as I'm treating Linear.

To get the ball rolling in Calc II I'm going to start off with an exercise much like the spring kick-off, estimating gumballs. Maybe even the same project?...

No comments: