Friday, June 05, 2009

Any minute now

The 2009 Summer REU is set to start.

Although I usually count the Sunday night potluck at our place as the "official" kick-off, the first of this summer's students will be arriving any minute now, if her estimate is anywhere near correct (and I think it is).

Monday should be fun. I've adapted several of the handouts from last summer (they all worked out pretty well) to reflect changes in the problems I'll be pitching to the kiddoes by Week 2. There was little change beyond removing a few graph-theoretic definitions that don't seem all that crucial anymore and adding a few missing ones that do. If this year's crew is as outgoing and eager as last year's, the first week's going to be a fun one.

I guessed I'd better get busy with some new pseudonyms, huh? How about these: Demeter, Billie, Daria, Dora, Ole, Omer, Nils, and Nigel?

Those oughta do.

Is everything in place?

Housing? Check.

Checks? Check.

Plans for managing their arrivals? Check.

First week's work? Check.

Whew.

We'll see how this goes.

I'm excited.

No comments: