Friday, January 14, 2011

Okay, y'all...this s**t is weak.

I am apoplectic, and my students aren't far behind.

My section of Calc II currently has 33 students enrolled in it, just one over the cap. I think it's going to stabilize at that number.

The room they've stuck us in had only 25 desks when I got to the classroom this afternoon; every one of them was taken. We fashioned two more seats out of a spare table and some stray chairs, but they had to be placed off to the side, in this small "alcove" formed by the wall that separates a roughly 10-by-10-foot section of the room from the entryway (don't get me started on the floorplan). From this place, the two students sitting at the table couldn't see the whiteboard because of the acuteness of the angle their lines of sight formed to it. The whiteboard's not all that big to begin with (maybe 12 feet long?), and though there's a blackboard of about the same length, it's placed off at the back of the "alcove" I described above, so that only half of the class would be able to see it at all.

This is ridiculous. I refuse to believe that this is the only room available to me at that time, especially when there are classrooms on campus which are simply going unused. Yeah, there's a "classroom," a spacious one at that, in a portion of the science building next door which is allocated to the Chemistry Department, which is currently being used to store desks, from what I can tell. There are no classes scheduled in it this semester. I don't know if there's even a writing surface in it, but this begs the question:

Why on Earth is there a large department scrounging to find rooms to accommodate its courses, when there are much smaller departments wasting the (much larger) space they've been given?

I'm going to try to snag that unused classroom, if it's at all usable.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You wanna get REALLY mad, check out the Charlotte Observer's N.C. University salary database and see how much the UNCA Chem department professors get paid for leaving their classrooms and labs empty all semester: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/24/94568/nc-university-salary-database.html