Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Memes!

Well, they're in, folks: my HON 179 students have all submitted at least one meme apiece, in response to the assignment I gave them on Monday. Some were funny, and others were really funny. Below I've listed some of those that were cleverest, often so clever owing to their connection to what we've talked about in class (including a couple riffing on Tutu).

"One Does Not Simply" is a big one right now, as you can see from my students' submissions. The first laments English's resistance to being broken:


The next two poke gentle fun at Desmond Tutu:



I couldn't resist making another of my own, referencing a seminal point in English evolution which Crystal highlights in his book:


One student had Condescending Wonka expound on non-standard English's confusing conventions:


Fortunately, Good Guy Greg's around to play Dr. Johnson:


On more general collegey themes, the ever-popular Philosoraptor made an appearance, as in this query about our campus's odd geography:


Other vexations about campus life?


One student wondered at the relevance of her music theory course:


And meme mash-ups? You've got 'em! Bad Advice Cat meets The Most Interesting Man in the World:


And Joseph Ducreux treads with trepidation into Mordor:


I should mention that I received a few that I wasn't able to save as nice images; here are links to a couple of other clever ones, involving Dwight Schrute (speaking to an issue that came up in class on Monday) and "All the" Allie (speaking to the influence French has historically had on English).

Finally, with a mash-up of HON 179 and HON 479, I'll let Anthony Kwame Appiah have the last word:

No comments: