Saturday, October 08, 2011

But wait, there's more...

I spent most of the day responding to my Precalc students' first midterm exams and their most recent homework. It was time-consuming, but fulfilling: the trick is asking meaningful questions. The exam included a question asking students to reflect on what it is they've learned so far this semester that will most help them meet their own personal and professional goals. The homework asked them to draw a comic strip in which the characters explain how to multiply two complex numbers.

Both of these exercises were answered with truly creative responses. I'll be sharing several of each here, once I get permission from the students to do so. For now, let it suffice to say that in their reflections many of the students report new-found appreciation for mathematics, new or renewed excitement about it, and greater confidence in working with it. As many or more gave great tips on solving problems or approaching weighty matters more critically and with greater skepticism.

I expect great things from these students. I really do have the best job on Earth.

No comments: