Monday, September 11, 2006

After hours

We had the first of our after-hours problem sessions tonight, and I feel it went very well.

The session was a fantastic opportunity for all of us: while the students in attendance (11 of the class's 33, representing 6 of the 8 teams) seemed in complete agreement that the session helped to solidify their understanding of the underlying computations, I felt that I gained tremendous insight into the students' thoughts on the class overall. We had some refreshingly open and honest conversations about how people are feeling about the course right now, and I'm heartened. I love these people!

We'll have another such session next Tuesday night, but be forewarned: I fear I'm going to have to start asking for a couple of bucks a pop (or "a soda") to defray the cost of refreshments!

My mind is aflutter with thoughts, but sadly I'm too tired to track any one or two of them down to pin them to the page, so I'll leave it at that.

I will end with another exhortation to those who are reading this blog (and after tonight, I know there are quite a few of you!) to please feel free to post responses to my own posts.

Tomorrow is another day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Patrick

Thanks so much for taking the time and making such an effort to help us. The help session was extremely valuable to me. I had been going at row reducing all wrong, but I feel I'm on the right track now. For the time being, most of my linear algebra fears (at least until the next class) are assuaged.

Oh yeah, thanks for the pizza too.

DocTurtle said...

Much obliged! As I mentioned in the post, I think we *all* benefited enormously from tonight's session. I'm sincerely flattered that you all find it worth your while to take an hour or two out of your admittedly insane schedules to spend on some linear algebra...although I suppose that ideally you'd be spending that time on linear algebra anyway, right? And spending it in the company of a helpful, supportive network of friends and colleagues is just that much more conducive to learning.

To you, Aaron, and to all: Good job tonight, and keep up the hard work!

Anonymous said...

Patrick,
I would also like to thank you for your dedication to our success. Your actions speak fathoms. I am feeling better about the class, the type and amount of work. It also feels better to know that there are other students who like/want/need a little extra time as well. I am certain that as long as I keep working hard, that you will do the same. I think I can speak for all of us in saying "thanks!".
heather

Anonymous said...

Patrick it looks as though things are going quite well!
Kudos to you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick,

Please let us know what we can do to provide food/money for the next session. Thank you for the problem session- doing that once a week or once every other week will help tremendously!!