Monday, January 11, 2010

Day One

It's Day One, all right, but it sure doesn't feel like it yet. There are a few quirks in my schedule this term that are going to take some getting used to:

1. I teach on every single day. Generally I teach four out of five days, and those days are typically very heavy ones, but I've usually got either Tuesday or Thursday to recuperate. Speaking of heavy days...

2. Tuesdays, the days I most frequently have off, are my heaviest days this semester: all three of my courses meet on that day.

3. I'm used to having my first class no later than 10:00 a.m. (frequently 8:00 or 9:00), but on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday of this term I don't teach until 1:45 p.m. This pushes me back to 5:25 p.m. on Mondays, the latest I've ever had class. That's going to be weird, especially for the first month or so, as it will be dark by the time class gets out. On the up-side, I've only got one class on Fridays.

4. Finally, and perhaps strangest of all, I teach two sections of Calc II, one which meets three days a week (on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays), and one which meets four days a week (on every day but Thursdays). This is going to cause my two Calc II sections to go out of sync with one another in a New York minute, making it damn near impossible for students to miss one section and show up at the other if convenient to do so, as they occasionally did last semester without any damage done.

Weird.

In other news, I spent a little while this morning walking around and scoping out potential classes for our "pirate" section of Topology. I found a couple of candidates during the 10:00 to 11:00 time slot. This could actually work.

Okay, I'm off to try to get some more bureaucratic BS done before my first class meets, at 1:45. Avanti!

No comments: